Common RavenScientific name: Corvus corax
Did you know: Common Ravens can mimic human speech, showcasing a level of intelligence that’s quite remarkable among birds!
What Do Common Ravens Look Like? (how to identify them)
The Common Raven is a large, all-black bird, known for its size and unique characteristics. Measuring 60-68 cm in length with a wingspan of 120-150 cm, it is one of the largest members of the crow family.
Its glossy black plumage and wedge-shaped tail make it unmistakable.
Differences Between Male And Female Common Ravens
Males and females are similar in appearance, making it challenging to distinguish between them based solely on physical characteristics. However, males are generally larger with a more robust build.
What Do Common Ravens Eat?
These omnivorous birds have a diverse diet, feeding on carrion, mammals, birds and their eggs, insects, and other invertebrates. Their ability to adapt their diet contributes significantly to their survival in various habitats.
Where Do Common Ravens Live? (inc. migration info)
Common Ravens are predominantly found in the west and north of the UK and are expanding eastwards. They inhabit a variety of landscapes, including woodland, upland, urban, and marine areas. Most are residents within their range, although some, particularly young birds, may wander locally.
Bird Calls & Songs (the unique voices of Common Ravens)
Common Ravens are vocal birds, known for their loud, guttural croaks and a range of other strange noises. Their ability to mimic sounds, including human speech, is especially fascinating.
Fun Common Raven Facts (kid friendly)
- Common Ravens are among the smartest of all birds.
- They can live for more than 23 years in the wild.
- Ravens often mate for life, showing strong devotion to their partners.
- They are known to play games and engage in aerial acrobatics.
- Ravens can solve complex problems, which demonstrates their high intelligence.
- In mythology and folklore, ravens are seen as powerful spiritual figures.
- Young ravens travel in flocks, but adults are usually seen in pairs.
- They have one of the largest ranges of any passerine bird.
- Ravens have been observed using tools, a rare behaviour among birds.
- They are capable of making a variety of vocalisations, from mimicking other sounds to producing their unique calls.
Common Raven Images
Facts About The Common RavenDiet: Carrion, mammals, birds and eggs, insects and other invertebrates.
Bird Family: Crows
Scientific Name: Corvus corax
The Common Raven Can Be Seen In The UK During The Following Months