Stock DoveScientific name: Columba oenas
Did you know: The Stock Dove can sometimes make its home in old rabbit warrens!
What Do Stock Doves Look Like? (how to identify them)
Stock Doves present a charming picture with their blue-grey plumage, highlighted by a captivating iridescent green band around the neck and a soft pink chest.
When in flight, their beauty is accentuated by black wing edges and two partial black bands near the back. Unlike their cousins, the Rock Doves/Feral Pigeons, they don’t flaunt pale rumps.
Differences Between Male And Female Stock Doves
Interestingly, male and female Stock Doves are quite similar in appearance, making it a bit of a challenge to distinguish between them at first glance.
What Do Stock Doves Eat?
Stock Doves have a diet mainly comprising seeds. They are also known to enjoy grains, fruits, peas, and root crops. Their preference for young shoots and seedlings reveals their inclination towards plant-based fare.
Where Do Stock Doves Live? (inc. migration info)
These birds are predominantly found across the UK, especially in the English Midlands and South West, though they are scarce in parts of northern Scotland and Ireland. The Stock Dove prefers habitats like woodlands, farmlands, and even urban and suburban areas.
Regarding migration, some Stock Doves in Europe and Western Asia are known to migrate, adapting to different habitats as needed.
Bird Calls & Songs (the unique voices of Stock Doves)
The Stock Dove’s call is a distinctive, short, deep grunt, markedly different from the cooing of common wood pigeons. This call can be surprisingly loud, often described as a ‘roaring’ sound.
Fun Stock Dove Facts (kid friendly)
- They are part of the Columbidae family.
- Their wingspan can reach up to 66 cm.
- They are known for their attractive blue-grey sheen and iridescent green neck band.
- Unlike some other pigeons, Stock Doves don’t have white marks on their necks.
- These birds can be found in England, Wales, and parts of Scotland and Ireland.
- They like to live in holes in large, old trees.
- Stock Doves are one of the few birds that can drink water without tilting their heads back.
- They can fly at very high speeds, especially when startled.
- The oldest known Stock Dove lived for over 10 years!
Stock Dove Images
Facts About The Stock DoveDiet: Seeds.
Bird Family: Pigeons and doves
Scientific Name: Columba oenas
The Stock Dove Can Be Seen In The UK During The Following Months